2010年6月14日 星期一

My Growth Plan


     When I first came to English class, I didn’t think too much, but I hoped that I could improve my writing skill this quarter. After the first class, I went to book store to buy the textbook “How to Write Anything”. As I looked at the front cover, my first thought was that I doubted that after I read through this textbook, I could write anything.
     Now, in the middle of the quarter, I have written several essays after reading the textbook. I’ve came to realize that reading the example on the textbook is very helpful to making me understand parts that was not clear to me before. Since I started learning English, teachers have been told me that the thesis statement is the most important part in the essay. Thesis statement not only needs support the essay, but also let the readers realize what the paper is talking about. Yet I was not able to write the thesis statement for some reason until I read “Shaping & Drafting” in the textbook, I found that writing the thesis statement was not as hard as I thought, unless I didn’t know what I was writing about. After I practiced to write the thesis statement a few times, I can write the thesis statement in my paper better.
     In the textbook, another thing I have learned from the text book is the skill which called brainstorm. It is a useful skill for me, because I sometimes don’t know how to write a four pages paper. Brainstorming can let me come up a lot of different ideas, then I can pick some ideas for writing my paper; therefore, writing a four pages paper is not the difficult assignments for me. If the requirement of paper is more than four pages, I still can combine other things into the content in my paper.           
     The important elements for writing a good essay, pathos, logos, and ethos have been mentioned several times during the classes. I now understand that because of them, papers have voices, and the feelings or emotions of writers have power on the reader. I think I have to work on logos, because I usually put the sentences in the wrong order, so my papers are not easy to read for other people.    
     On the other hand, the handouts from the class also help me a lot when I write essays. The handout which is called “The Art of Styling Sentences” makes me feel English is interesting. Before this class, when I write the papers, I always use the same kinds of sentence structures in my essay. But I’ve learned that there are several ways to develop the structure, so writers will not be bored when they write papers, and the readers will not be bored when they read papers. Eventually my writing has improved so that it is not build up by simple sentences.
     After this quarter, I hope I can be able to make my grammar more accurate when I write essays. Another thing will be to improve my writing skills; for example, I should work on my logic and use more conjunctions in my essays, because it would make the flow of thought smoother, and readers can understand what I am talking about in my papers.    


沒有留言:

張貼留言

注意:只有此網誌的成員可以留言。